Thread: Is there any interest in technology product reviews ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Is there any interest in technology product reviews ?

Hello all,

Obviously many will have noticed I don't spend a lot of time here these days. My health is a major reason, long bouts of typing kill my neck but I can do it if I take a handful of painkillers.
    I do feel a bit guilty about the lack of time spent here and we all do really owe mtv a lot of thanks for dealing with a lot of issues with posts, particularly in the Communication forum of which I dont have a lot of knowledge.

Many years back I used to do the odd product review, not paid reviews, just on items I have bought. If you are thinking about buying something in particular, and Google it for some feedback, most of the time you will end up reading paid for reviews. Of course you have to wonder if they are being 100% transparent about their findings.

Now I don't buy a lot of stuff, but have made 2 purchases which may be of interest.

One is the new Samsung Smart Tracker 2. I own a couple of Samsung Smart Tracker 1's and also own several Tile trackers. Obviously I could offer some good comparisons of what I have found about them.

The second is a Robot Vacuum cleaner. Now this is an interesting one.....I was an early adopter and actually purchased my first one in 2010. Although it worked well, it did have a fault of which the Australian dealer tried to blame on me. I didn't appreciate that and things got a bit nasty......in fact he even dedicated an entire page of his company website to me saying that I was spreading false information. Surprise surprise, I am still standing and he is not. It was disappointing, but I am expecting a much better experience this time around. A robot vacuum isn't something I can really afford, but as my son and his partner are living in my home they are paying board, so I have some money to spend to clean up their mess

If anyone is interested in seeing how not to deal with a real legitimate complaint, read on :
    My replies that are removed don't have anything wrong with them, either the moderator didn't like me or they felt sorry for the person who destroyed his business in one transaction.

The reality is vacuuming kills me, so I had to get something mid range and half decent. I have gone with the Dreame D10s Plus, which has an auto emptying station.

So before I type much more, do people have any interest in my typing up a review of these items ? At various stages other users have also taken the time to do the same, but sadly these days people are usually happy to take the word of an influencer they know nothing about than people who have been on the internet for quite a long time.

So any interest ? I am also happy to do nothing if there is no interest

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gulliver (04-11-23),lsemmens (03-11-23),mandc (03-11-23),mtv (05-11-23),SS Dave (03-11-23),tristen (05-03-24),Uncle Fester (05-11-23)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,079 Times in 3,349 Posts

I like the idea. I don't buy much new stuff these days, so cannot offer too many current reviews.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

not a bad idea, yes i remember the roomba brush saga..........

Thanks

I would love to hear a Real Review of the trackers

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,424 Times in 2,523 Posts

Yes !
    A dedicated forum would be good where ALL members can share their gripes or satisfaction with technology products.

Trust Pilot and Product Review sites seem to be obliterated with fake reviews, many positive ones are obvious fakes but it is very hard to find out if a product is really bad based only on negative reviews that seem true but might only be bad luck.
    No product is 100% reliable and negative reviews are quickly posted while the majority of owners who are satisfied with their product rarely bother writing a review.

Design and build quality are key here and an actual Teardown with photos is the best way to reveal weak and shoddy products.
    Finding good reasonably priced off-grid inverters has been a topic for me recently. Luckily some have opened them up and did live tests that seem legitimate on Youtube.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-11-23 at 09:24 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (04-11-23),RedXT (04-11-23)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,079 Times in 3,349 Posts

The downside of such a forum would be moderation. We are likely to get spambots attempting to post fake reviews.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,981 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedXT View Post
    I would love to hear a Real Review of the trackers
    Are you talking vehicle trackers?
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks

Baggage and Vehicle trackers, I live in kilmore victoria and my wife is going on a cruise, she flies from melbourne to brisbane then a cruise to noumea so I brought a Tile tracker and put it in the luggage to see how it works, I will post results in a couple of weeks

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedXT For This Useful Post:

gulliver (05-11-23),SS Dave (05-11-23),Uncle Fester (05-11-23)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    The downside of such a forum would be moderation. We are likely to get spambots attempting to post fake reviews.
    Highly likely, but we get those all the time.

Only very few get through as most are banned before they even get to post.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (05-11-23)

• 16-11-23, 01:43 PM

Reason
    Breaches self-promotion rule